Have You Been Injured in a Truck Accident? 5 Things a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Do to Help
When you are in a car accident, your whole life can change in a matter of seconds. If that accident involves a large truck, the damage can be even more catastrophic.
Statistics show that over 5,000 people each year die in collisions that involve semi-trucks and passenger vehicles. Hundreds of thousands are injured. Because of the mass and speed of these large vehicles, an accident that involves them often results in moderate to severe injuries.
While there is no one main cause of truck accidents, they are most commonly due to one of the parties being guilty of drunk or distracted driving, speeding, changing lanes recklessly, fatigue on the part of the driver, or lack or vehicle maintenance or defects.
Whatever the reason for your accident, if you have been in a collision with a large truck, a truck accident lawyer can help you get the benefits you are entitled to and ensure the at-fault party takes accountability for their negligence.
How Can an Attorney Help You if You Were Injured in a Truck Accident?
If an accident occurred as a result of a truck driver’s neglect, and it resulted in damages and injuries to you and your vehicle, you may benefit from having an attorney help you file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. This is especially important since the at-fault party might not be as easy to determine without a deeper investigation than you can handle.
Here are 5 ways an attorney can help you if you were in an accident with a truck:
- It is your burden to prove the accident was due to negligence. You may know that the truck driver was negligent in some way, but you have to prove this to the jury. Your attorney can help you do this by reviewing the police and accident reports and then interviewing any witnesses. They will also investigate the scene of the accident and make sure that everything leading up to the accident was legally followed.
- You will need to prove liability for those who were at fault. Since in a truck accident there can be multiple at-fault parties, an attorney can help you determine where the fault initiated from and prove the liability in court. The fault may be from the truck driver, the trucking company, whoever manufactured the parts, or even a third party.
- Your attorney can guide you through the legal process. From filing the extensive paperwork to investigating the accident and then presenting your case in court, your attorney will take away the extra stress during this already difficult time.
- You may be entitled to compensation you are not aware of, and your attorney will explain it to you. Depending on the details of your accident, you may be entitled to more benefits than you realize. Damages in a truck accident can include repairing or replacing your vehicle, paying for medical expenses, obtaining your lost wages, and compensation for pain and suffering.
- Your attorney is on your side during negotiations and litigation. Your claim may have the potential to be settled out of court through a process called litigation. Your attorney will have your best interests in mind as they attempt to come to an agreement with the insurance company. If no agreement can be reached, they will present your case in court for you.
Find an Expert Attorney to Help You Today
If you were injured in a truck accident, don’t hesitate. Call and schedule a consultation with an expert personal injury attorney today to see if you may be entitled to compensation for your accident.